- Prepare yourself by getting into a calm and reflective mindset
Don't create expectations
of what the feedback should be
- It’s not the giver’s role to say what you want to hear, but offer you a different perspective other than your own.
to what they are saying
- It requires you as the listener to fully concentrate, understand, and then remember what is being said.
to show that you are listening and understanding
- Eye contact, nodding your head, and saying small things like "I see", "I hear you", "Yep", or even "Hmm" are indicators that you are following the conversation.
or react to feedback at the moment it's being given
- Try to absorb, understand, and reflect upon it. Sometimes, after a while, something that didn’t make sense then, makes sense now. Take your time!
and understanding of other perspectives
- One of the key goals of receiving feedback is to become aware of something you didn’t notice by yourself because of your own blind spots.
Control your emotions and
don't freak out
- You may be surprised, but don’t be reactive.
- Mind your facial expressions and body language
- Ask follow-up or clarification questions when necessary
Welcome and embrace unexpected feedbacks
- You may not have asked for it, but still may be useful .
- Show empathy and respect for their point of view
Show appreciation by
thanking them for their feedback
- Even if you realize it doesn’t make sense to you, you still got the opportunity to consider something otherwise you probably wouldn’t have thought about.
Reflect upon what was said and figure out what makes sense for you
- You are not bound to act on every feedback you get. You are allowed to drop it if it doesn’t make sense for you.
and choose which feedback you are going to focus first
- Don’t try to tackle everything at once, nobody expects you to be perfect.
- Make an action or learning plan to apply changes
- Look for guidance and validation
- Set acceptance criteria as a definition of done for each feedback
- Align and manage feedback stakeholders expectations of your development